Want to know when I post?
Add yourself to my "followers" list -- scroll down and look on the right side of the screen. Or, drop me an email at ilana@post.harvard.edu and ask me to add you to my alerts list. You'll get an email each time I post.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Rejoice!

The Torah sometimes refers to Sukkot simply as חג, holiday, because it is the holiday -- the day of ultimate celebration.  On Yom Kippur we sob our hearts out, and on sukkot we feel the release that comes after the flood.

Sukkot is supposed to be a holiday of singing and dancing.  But today, I was sobbing with joy.
 זה היום עשה ה', נגילה ונשמחה בו
"This is the day God made, we will rejoice and be happy on this day!"   For this is the day Gilad Shalit returns home to Israel.

The Egyptians required a televised interview of him before releasing him to Israel.  Watching this young man's composure through heartless questions about his feelings during captivity, I think the state of Israel may have found a future leader.

אבן מאסו הבונים היתה לראש פינה
"The stone that the builder's despised has become the cornerstone."

No comments:

Post a Comment